Upcoming MIWLA Workshops & Events
Join us for engaging professional development opportunities. Workshop and event locations rotate throughout the state.
2018 Spring Workshop
Interculturality: Bring Language to Life Using Choice Boards
Saturday, March 17, 2018, 10:00-2:30 (lunch provided)
Grand Valley State University, in Allendale, MI
$50 (participants eligible for three SCECHs)
How do you teach someone to be open-minded, interested and curious about other people and their cultures without creating stereotypes? Building on an existing framework, as a participant in this 4-hour make-and-take workshop, you will:
- explore choice boards that promote student growth
- reflect on your students’ individuality and interest levels
- adapt culturally engaging activities to include on your choice board
- participate in consultations to guarantee best products
- produce a personally relevant choice board that is ready to be shared with students and your professional teaching community
Michèle Braud has 25 years of experience teaching and motivating students in the world language classroom. She is a National Board-Certified Teacher and a leader in the state of Louisiana. She has many years of experience presenting and delivering professional development to colleagues and is a strong proponent ofactionable professional development. Michèle is the World Language Coordinator at the Louisiana Department of Education and President of Louisiana Foreign Language Teachers Association, LFLTA.